- 4 cups milk- I used 1% cow's milk but a combination of cream, coconut milk and other milks can be used
- 1/2 cup white basmati rice
- 8 cardamom pods crushed with pestle. Remove the seed hulls and crush the black seeds. You could use 1 teaspoon ground cardamom instead.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup white sugar or other sweetener to taste
Combine ingredients and cook them over boiling water in a double boiler until rice is very soft. This takes about an hour. Stir mixture occasionally. When it is starting to thicken up add:
- 1/4 cup diced apricots or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds or pistachios
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut (optional but tasty)
- a dash of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Let the pudding simmer for another 10 minutes or so without letting it get too thick and dry. Remove from heat and let it cool before serving. I like it warm or chilled.