Monday 18 February 2008

Venison Stew

A friend from our church, John, gave us some game meat from moose and deer he hunted last fall. I checked a few recipes and then created this dish with what was on hand. It was very good! This type of recipe can be modified in many ways.

Heat 15-30 ml of oil in a dutch oven or stew pot

Add one diced onion (I would have added green pepper if I had some) and cook for a couple of minutes until it is starting to soften.

Add 500 g diced venison and cook until browned

Add 30 ml cider vinegar
250 ml vegetable or beef broth
250 ml tomato sauce (I used some left over pasta sauce)
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
5 ml allspice
other seasonings to taste

Simmer slowly for 40- 50 minutes until meat is tender.

Add chunks of potato (4 medium), carrots (2), onions (1) as desired and simmer until vegetables are done.

I served it with a salad and Canadian wild rice.

4 comments:

RuthieJ said...

Sounds yummy....I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing, Ruth.

Ruth said...

Ruthie- I added the vinegar as a kind of tenderizer. The meat was very tender in the end. I usually add lemon juice to my beef stew. Now I have a package of ground moose meat to experiment with. It usually tastes a little stronger than venison. Let me know if you have any suggestions for preparation.

Pappy said...

Try it in Chili. Try my recipe on http://pappysbalderdash.blogspot.com .

Ruth said...

Texican- Thanks for your comment. I will check out your recipe.