Sunday 2 November 2008

Mom's Goulash


Mom frequently made a one pan meal that she called goulash. Where I now live, goulash is a stew made with cubes of beef and seasoned with paprika. This dish is fast and easy to make and the leftovers are good too. Once again, this is a recipe that is highly adaptable and this is an approximate method.

1 lb ground beef, turkey or chicken or moistened TVP for a vegetarian option
1 diced onion

Brown meat with onion and drain off any fat. Season to taste with basil, oregano, hot pepper flakes, pepper, garlic as desired.

1 28 oz tin diced tomatoes
1-1/2 cups water or broth
1 cup rice (Basmati rice used here)

Add tomatoes, broth and rice, cover pan and simmer until rice is cooked. Add more liquid if necessary. Adjust seasonings.

I added a bunch of fresh spinach before serving and cooked it until wilted.

Serve with a salad and a baguette if desired.

2 comments:

Margaret Cloud said...

Well if I keep going I will have my weekly menu, I like goulash. I invite you to come by.

Olga said...

This looks just like a kind of meal I'd make :)