Saturday 15 January 2011

Energy Bars

I enjoy a variety of LÄRABAR products, especially their peanut butter and chocolate varieties. At $2.00 a bar, they are pricey and I usually get them in larger boxes where the price works out to about  $1.00 a piece. I got a food processor for Christmas, the first one I have ever owned. I have made a couple of LÄRABAR type squares and they turned out well. The measurements are approximate and can be adjusted until the right consistency is obtained.


Chocolate Bars:

Combine in a food processor and process until a paste:

1 cup dates ( I covered them with boiling water for 5 minutes because they were very hard)
1/2 cup whole raw almonds
1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
a few dark chocolate chocolate chips

Press into a 8 inch square pan. Cut into squares or bars. I put the pan in the freezer for 1/2 hour before cutting them.

Oatmeal Raisin Bars

3/4 cup dates
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Process until you reach a paste consistency. You may need to add a little water during the processing if it is too dry.

For other ideas, check out this website.

No comments: