Friday 23 February 2007

Oat pancakes (wheatless)

I have found that I do not tolerate a lot a wheat, especially white flour. I do love breads and grains and have found ways to eat less wheat and still have some of my favourite foods.
These pancakes are high protein and low fat, but most importantly, are delicious.


1 cup rolled oats
1 cup creamed cottage cheese (low fat or regular)
2 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Whirl oats in a blender to make a coarse meal. Add cottage cheese and 2 egg yolks and blend well. You may need to add a little milk or yogurt to get it to blend. The mixture is thick.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the oat batter.
I added some blueberries to this batch as well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a hot, oiled pan and turn when edges are lightly browned.
Makes 10 pancakes the size shown in the photo.

Serve with fruit or syrup.

8 comments:

i*maginate said...

HEY! I'm glad you didn't add sugar to the recipe.

My nutritional belief is that anything not "natural" is pointless. Flour doesn't do good to the body. Oats are a good alternative.

Do you like porrige?

Ruth said...

I love porridge and eat it for breakfast 90% of the time. I try to reserve sugar and flour for rare and special occasions.

Kay Wotton said...

I just discovered you had two blogs. What a charming cowbell and story.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those pancakes sound GOOD! I think I'll try them!

(Your recipe for "Mexican Fish Bake" is now my favorite way to cook fish!)

Anonymous said...

I bet they'd also be good with chopped apple in them! YUM!

Ruth said...

Dr BB- Thanks for dropping by. I know you have interesting food stories from your travels.

Evelyn- The fish is yummy like that, much better than fried. I really have liked this pancake recipe and agree it would be good with apple too.

Anonymous said...

that recipe is delish

~JEWEL~ said...

I've just recently been trying to go wheatless and found your recipe which Im trying tomorrow. I also thank you for not adding sugar or cornsyrup. I see so many 'healthy' recipes and they have sugar!! Well Ill tell you... refined sugar is in no way healthy.