Saturday 22 August 2009

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

I bought the Laura Secord Canadian Cookbook in Niagara Falls shortly after our wedding. It has been one of my favourite cookbooks with excellent recipes and interesting Canadian food history commentaries. This muffin recipe is directly from this book, which is available only from resellers on Amazon.ca. I always double the recipe and get 18 large muffins.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

1 cup flour ( I use whole wheat)
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar ( I use 1/2 Splenda or stevia)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Add

1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

Mix batter until just moistened and then fold in

3/4 cup blueberries

Place batter in prepared muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until set and golden brown.

3 comments:

cheryl said...

That muffin looks GOOD! I was happy to see you sub some of the sugar for splendia.

Does the book give you carb/fiber count per each muffin. I would be interested in that. I think I want to make these but should know my sugar counts first.

Oh I can't wait...I love blueberry muffins.

Ruth said...

Cheryl, I just calculated the nutritional info on a new website I found. If you make 8 large muffins with this recipe the values are as follows:

Calories- 195
Fat- 8.5 g
Carbs- 30 g
Protein- 4.6 g
Fiber- 3.7 g

Here is the recipe calculator
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

Tanya said...

These look awesome and I can't wait to try them. I love this blog!