Sunday 14 January 2007

Chicken Pot Pie

My husband's family are of German/Mennonite background, and this recipe was made often for supper. The noodle dough is stiffer than spaetzle and is rolled out thinly and cut into squares before it is put into boiling soup broth. My mother-in-law would cook chicken in broth (about 8-12 cups of liquid) and added only onions and parsley. After the chicken was cooked and deboned, the soup was brought to a boil and the "pot pie" noodles added. To me, chicken pot pie is made with pastry or biscuit topping, but this Pennsylvania Dutch recipe is made with noodles.
I add a few more vegetable to my soup. I took a picture of my last batch and there are onions, portabello mushrooms, parsley and cauliflower in the mix.

Soup

Cook a whole chicken or parts in 8-12 cups of salted water with a large diced onion
Cut the cooked chicken in chunks. I add 2-3 cups of chicken to the broth after the vegetables and noodles are cooked. Skim any fat from the broth.
Bring the broth to a boil and cook any vegetables you wish to add.
Place fresh noodle squares in the boiling broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
Season to taste.

Noodles

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1-1/2 cups of flour

Mix ingredients into a smooth, elastic dough. Add enough flour to make a ball that is not too sticky to be rolled out. (Do not make the dough too stiff)
Roll out thinly with a rolling pin on a floured surface and cut into squares with a knife or pizza cutter.


Note: I learned a lot of these recipes from people who never used measuring cups or spoons. Creative license is allowed!

No comments: