Sunday 3 June 2007

Mango Pudding

One of our homes in South Africa was backed by a mango grove. I never liked the fruit, finding it too stringy and "tasting like soap" in my opinion. In the past couple of years, I have come to love the yellow Ataulfo mango with its sweet flavour and smooth texture. They are in season in Mexico now and we are getting decent ones in our Canadian grocery stores. I have tried this recipe with frozen mango and it was awful. It is best to wait for fully ripe, fresh mangoes in season.
This mango pudding is often found at Chinese buffets. The recipe is adapted from the book Heart Smart Chinese Cooking by Stephen Wong.

2 envelopes unflavoured gelatin
3/4 cup sugar or sweetener
1 cup boiling water
3 cups pureed mangoes
1 cup 2% evaporated milk or cream
(I used plain soy milk)
8 ice cubes

Add gelatin and sugar to hot water and stir until well dissolved and smooth.
*In a large bowl, mix mango puree, milk and ice cubes.
Pour in gelatin mixture and stir until ice cubes are melted.
Pour into individual serving dishes or a jelly mold and chill until set.
Garnish with lime or mango slices if desired

6-8 servings

*(I puree the mangos in my VitaMix and add the milk, ice and gelatin mixture, blending together until smooth.)

No comments: