Sunday 3 June 2007

Cream of Vegetable Soup

I am still trying to make at least one meal a week with local foods. As I write this on June 3rd, asparagus, fiddleheads, lettuces, spring onions, radishes and rhubarb are the only fresh, local items available. We still have local root crops from last year such as potatoes, carrots and onions.
This meal consisted of cream of vegetable soup, asparagus quiche and rhubarb crisp and a salad.
The quiche recipe is here. I steamed the asparagus spears lightly and placed them in spokes in the pie. The rhubarb recipe is posted here.

Vegetable Soup

2 cups or more of your favourite vegetable
(carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I used the asparagus ends, carrots and cauliflower)
One onion
one potato, diced or 1/4 cup rice
Garlic clove

Cook the vegetables in 4 cups of broth. Season to taste with herbs.

When the vegetable are soft, puree them with the broth in a blender.
Return mixture to the pot and thin to desired consistency with regular, evaporated or soy milk. Cream will also work well, if you can afford the fat. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Garnish with chopped chives and roasted peppers.

(If you use carrots, onion and rice, the resulting sweet soup is a beautiful colour)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! When I made it, I was transported back in time... I loved a soup that tasted nearly identical when I was a student in France, and never knew how to recreate it. Now I do! Wow! C'est magnifique!!
God bless, Emily