Sunday 10 June 2007

Stewed Rhubarb and Berries

We still are getting a lot of rhubarb from the garden. I don't freeze it, because I always have found it to be watery when thawed. We ate a lot of rhubarb and strawberries at home and Mom served them with graham flour muffins for dessert. After she cooked the rhubarb and sweetened it, she added a package of frozen strawberries that thawed quickly and cooled the fruit. I have started making my stewed rhubarb in the microwave, with no additional water. If you cook the rhubarb on the stove, coat the chopped stems with the sugar and add only a little water if necessary. Cook on low to medium and watch that the fruit does not scorch.

8 cups washed and chopped rhubarb
Place in a microwave safe dish and cook on high for 10-13 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Sweeten to taste with sugar or sweetener (I used 3/4 cup Splenda)
Add 2 cups, more or less, frozen raspberries (my favourite) or strawberries.

No comments: